Pages

Wednesday 18 August 2010

Sheep and Other Racists

THIS is apparently old news, but what the Freak is a Rainbow Sheep?  My brother-in-law's niece sings Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep at Nursery.  I was stunned.  This could set a generation of kids who think it's right to change history - possibly a minor over reaction, but I really don't think it's right.

When I discovered that many nursery rhymes had a dark element, I was fascinated, not disturbed or upset - it's a connection with history, just as Alf Garnett is. 

You can't be retrospectively racist, can you?

1 comment:

  1. It's all crap changing nursery rhymes like that. As I child I always thought baa baa black sheep was about one of those fluffy things that run around in fields of the black variety which is a bit more unusual than the usual white variety. Nothing else ever crossed my mind. As far as I know to this day that is what it's about!

    I'd be more worried about a generation of kids thinking that sheep come rainbow coloured...

    ReplyDelete